When temperatures start turning colder, cold and flu season inevitably follows. If you or your little one were unlucky enough to fall prey to a cold or flu virus and ended up with a cough and a stuffy nose, I suggest that you try this miraculous home remedy.
Multiple studies have proven the incredible healing properties of this homemade syrup. It’s really easy to make, and you probably already have the ingredients in your pantry!
Here’s what you’ll need:
– 3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
– 1/4 cup organic raw honey
– 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
1. Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan and heat over low until the coconut oil is melted.
2. Take a spoonful of the warm syrup as desired. You can also add it into hot water or tea.
3. When the mixture gets cooled the coconut oil will harden.
4. Store the syrup in the refrigerator for up to a month.
5. Gently warm it up before using.
Why is it so effective?
Honey has incredibly powerful anti-viral and anti-microbial properties. Clinical trials have shown honey to be just as effective in alleviating coughs as over the counter medicine. It is also very effective in boosting your immune system.
Lemon juice is used in numerous home remedies for a very good reason. In this case, lemon juice provides strong anti-viral and antibacterial properties which make it an excellent fighter against cold and flu viruses.
Being rich in antioxidants, coconut oil helps boost the effects of the homemade syrup. It also contains a good amount of lauric acid, which is also antibacterial and anti-viral. It can help reduce the length of the sickness and can be quite soothing when added to tea.
Just mix these three ingredients and you’ll create a super immune boosting syrup that will help alleviate coughs and sore throats.