Celery is A Powerful Anti-inflammatory Food
Grows – Regular celery and wild celery grows all over the world in one form or another.
History – Celery goes all the way back to 1000 BC… and celery was used by the ancient Greeks and Egyptians.
1. Anti-inflammatory – Celery contains apiuman, and apiuman is a pectin substance that’s important for bringing about the anti-inflammatory response in the body. Celery helps with arthritis and asthma, and celery contains natural COX-2 inhibitors which don’t have side effects like prescription drug COX-2 inhibitors.
2. Increases Libido – Studies show that celery contains androstenol and androstenone which boosts libido.
3. Lots of Antioxidants – Celery contains lots of great antioxidants that help to repair DNA damage and prevent DNA damage. Also antioxidants slow the aging process. Celery contains phenolic compounds like those found in green tea.
4. Heart Health – Celery contains compounds that help to prevent atherosclerosis. And celery also helps to prevent inflammation of the cardiovascular system thus helping to prevent heart attacks.
5. Relax Smooth Muscle – Celery has the ability to relax smooth muscles thus helping to lower blood pressure and prevent heart attacks.
6. Fiber – Celery contains lots of fiber which creates a good environment for growing of probiotic bacteria which keeps your immune system strong.
7. Alkalizing – Celery balances acid in your system thus helping to prevent disease.
8. Good for the GI Tract – Studies show that celery has the ability to prevent inflammation of the GI tact caused by fried foods. Celery also helps with gas, and soothes the GI tract… in fact Commission E in Germany recommends celery for upset stomachs.
9. Lowers Blood Pressure – Celery contains phthalides which lowers blood pressure.
10. Lowers Body Temperature – Celery juice is great for balancing your body temperature if it’s hot.
11. Gastric Ulcers – Celery contains apiuman and 10 other simple sugar pectins that help to protect the lining of your stomach from gastric ulcers.
12. Constipation – Celery contains lots of soluble and insoluble fiber thus preventing constipation.
13. Cancer – Celery has so many great anti-inflammatory agents and great fiber that it might also help to prevent cancer. One study showed that eating celery might help fight cancer because it contains luteolin. And another study showed that celery can prevent the onset of breast cancer.
14. Weight Loss – One stalk of celery contains about 10 calories… making it a wonderful weight loss food.
15. Eye Health – Celery contains lots of Vitamin A which is important for good eye health and for preventing age related eye disease.
16. Lowers Cholesterol – Celery contains butylphthalide which in studies has been shown to lower cholesterol by 7 percent… by only eating two stalks of celery each daily.
17. Diuretic – Celery is a good diuretic and detoxing agent. 18. Immune Booster – Celery is full of great compounds that help to boost up your immune system.
19. Salts – And yes celery contains sodium, but we do need some sodium to in order to live… and the sodium in organic celery is all natural and good for you.
20. Electrolytes – Celery juice is great for athletes, because celery juice contains good electrolytes that are important to replace when you sweat.
21. Anti-fungal – Celery is a powerful anti-fungal compounds.
22. Bad Breath – Celery and celery seeds contain compounds that keep bad breath bacteria in check.
23. Antibacterial – Celery contain lots of powerful antibacterial agents that help to prevent infections.
24. Memory – Celery contains luteolin which helps to prevent the formation of plaques in the brain… thus helping to prevent memory loss.
25. Contains – Celery contains Vitamins C and A which are a good antioxidants, B Vitamins for energy and good mood, lots of Vitamin K which is needed for proper clotting.
26. Potassium for cardiovascular health and water regulation, copper for anemia, calcium and phosphorus for strong bones, manganese for enzyme production, molybdenum for metabolism, and magnesium for stress and relaxation.
27. Celery also contains phytosterols, flavones, flavonols, furanocoumarins, dihydrostilbenoids, quercetin, and kaempferol which are all powerful antioxidant compounds.
28. Gout – Celery contains agents that help to rid the body of uric acid thus preventing gout.
29. Menopause – Celery contains about 50 powerful agents that help with menopause.
Uses – Celery is best eaten raw because when you cook celery it loses most of its vitamins, minerals, and all of its live enzymes. Juicing organic celery is great for calming down inflammation in your body, and you can also cook celery in soups, stews, casseroles, and lots of other dishes.
And don’t forget to stuff your celery with organic peanut butter or almond butter for a healthy snack.
Storing – Celery will keep for a long time in the refrigerator, but in order get the most nutrients from your celery… you should eat it within 5 to 7 days.
Finding – You can find organic celery at just about any supermarket around the world. Eating organic celery is important because regular celery contains lots of pesticides.
About the Author
Dr. Paul Haider is a Master Herbalist and Spiritual Teacher for over 25 years, helping people to recover and feel healthy. You can also find Dr. Haider on Facebook under Dr. Paul Haider, Healing Herbs, and at www.paulhaider.com – feel free to contact him any time.