There has been a lot of buzz about superfoods lately, but what are superfoods and why are so many people obsess with it? Superfoods are natural foods that are decent in calories and very high in vitamins, minerals, enzymes, antioxidants and fiber. One unique quality of top superfoods is that they can be eaten raw. If a food is rich in essential nutrients but needs to be cooked in order to eat it, then it isn’t really a top superfood because cooking it will destroy many of its nutrients.
Since top superfoods are rich in essential nutrients and can be eaten raw, they are often plant-based. For best results, choose the ones that are raw, organic and grown in nutrient rich soil. Soil that is added with natural rock dust is usually rich in essential vitamins and minerals. Avoid the conventionally grown ones because they are often sprayed with hazardous chemicals (e.g., pesticides, herbicides) and grown in nutrient depleted soil.
Besides being healthy to eat, superfoods are great for weight loss and energy. Their low calories make it easy for you to manage your calorie intake. In addition, their high levels of essential nutrients will help boost your metabolism, allowing your body to burn more calories.
A list of some of the 5 top superfoods for energy and health
1. Acai: This purple superfruit is small in size but packs a ton of nutrients. Acai berry has one of the highest levels of antioxidants of any known fruit. It even has more antioxidants than blueberries. Acai is found in the Amazon rainforest. Many people who live near the Amazon rainforest have been eating this superfruit and using it for medicine for centuries. Acai berries need to be eaten within 24 hours of picking or they will lose a lot of their healing properties. If you don’t live near the Amazon rainforest, the best way to receive the amazing healing properties of acai is by consuming freeze dried acai powder.
2. Blueberries: These small berries are also very high in antioxidants. Besides antioxidants, they are full of flavonoids, anthocyanin, phenolic compounds, beta-carotene, fiber, manganese, vitamin C, A and E. These benefits of blueberries make them great for weight loss and immune health.
3. Goji berries (wolfberries): These red berries are often grown in the valleys of Mongolia and Tibet. This superfood is extremely high in vitamin C. To be more accurate, goji berries have nearly 500 times more vitamin C per ounce than oranges. They are also great sources of enzymes, fiber, vitamin A, B1, B2, B6 and E and trace minerals. If you don’t live near an area where goji berries are grown, one of the best ways to get most of their health benefits is by consuming goji berry powder.
4. Wheat grass: Unlike the whole grain, wheat grass is super alkalizing, making it great for preventing acidosis or acidic blood. This superfood has high concentrations of vitamins and minerals, amino acids and enzymes. In addition, it is extremely high in chlorophyll. Wheat grass has been used for stimulating the metabolism, promoting weight loss, cleansing the blood, increasing thyroid function and boosting energy. Most people like to consume wheat grass in its powder form or by juicing it and drinking the juice. For some of the best wheat grass juicers and powders, visit this online store.
5. Wild blue-green algae: This superfood is a phytoplankton that is extremely rich in nutrients. It is so rich in nutrients that it contains nearly every nutrient. For example, researchers believe it contains over 90 naturally chelated minerals and carries all known essential fatty acids. It also has natural enzymes, and carries all vitamins except D and K. In addition, wild blue-green algae is very high in protein. With a 60 percent protein content and full of amino acid, beta carotene, B vitamins and chlorophyll, it is a better source of high quality protein than beef or soy beans. The best and healthiest blue-green algae is grown in the wild in soil free of pollution and high in nutrients. If you are interested in the supplement or powder form of this superfood, Synergy Company makes some of the best and healthiest blue-green algae powders and supplements.