A comprehensive detox program must supply the appropriate nutrients to do this – and should include nutrients specifically to support the 2 most important detoxification organ systems, the liver and gastro-intestinal tract.
Although there are additional ways to boost a detox, these should be the key components of any detox.
Limit external toxins by decreasing or removing the amount of irritants that we put into our bodies. This means eliminating the foods that often cause sensitivities or reactions, like gluten and dairy, irritants to the gut like alcohol and caffeine and sugar and all processed foods that also trigger inflammation. For a complete list of foods I recommend you can and cannot eat while detoxing please check out my REMOVE DIET.
• Assist The Body’s Capacity To Neutralize And Eliminate The Toxins
• Support Gastro-Intestinal Function
- Give the digestive system a rest by decreasing the amount of food and supplying key nutrients via juices and or powders.
- Help balance and maintain healthy flora by removing abnormal bugs in the gut. These abnormal bacteria, yeast and parasites can release toxins and overload the liver’s capacity to deal with the flood of toxins.
- Aid digestion with digestive enzymes which assist the body to break down food properly ensuring fewer negative effects from undigested foods.
- Add fiber to “sweep” the intestines. Fiber promotes the elimination of toxins and also binds to toxins, which helps to prevent their absorption. Dietary fiber is also metabolized by gut bacteria into short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), which feed the cells lining the intestines and thereby support cellular integrity, therefore decreasing inflammation.
Assist liver function, as it is the main organ involved in transforming toxins into metabolites that are easier to excrete. Nutritionally supporting the liver boosts it’s function during detox preventing the accumulation of toxic products in the tissues.
A comprehensive detox program must include the targeted nutrition you need to boost your bodies own detox system. Supplying the right mix of nutrients to balance the body and optimize function is essential for an effective detox.