Well, for all of you bread lovers, we have good news. There are options for tasty, grain-free bread that will not cause your blood sugar to spike or your colon to become irritable.
Organic Almond Flour
Almond flour, also known as almond meal is made from ground blanched almonds. Because the almonds are ground very finely, it is easy to use for all your baking needs. Almond flour is also a great alternative to wheat for people who are allergic to gluten. You can even make your own almond flour at home.
Almond flour has a nutty rich taste and is high in protein, containing 6 grams in one serving compared to 5.5 grams in an egg. It is also low in carbohydrates and sugar. Almost 64% of the fats in almonds are unsaturated which may help reduce bad cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.
The Journal of American Association states that the vitamin E in almonds may protect against Alzheimer’s disease. In addition, almond flour is rich in calcium, dietary fiber and iron.
Organic Coconut Flour
You may be familiar with the health benefits of coconut oil and coconut crystals but what about coconut flour? You can get all the same health promoting benefits of coconuts when you use coconut flour.
Coconut flour is dried and ground up coconut meat and contains almost 60% fiber, which is the most fiber of any flour available. The glycemic index of coconut flour is very low, it has a nominal impact on blood sugar meaning you will have a balanced source of energy and feel full for longer.
Like almond flour, coconut flour is gluten-free. Coconut flour tastes mildly sweet and is rich in protein and healthy fats making it very satisfying when used in bread and other baked goods.
Almond Bread Recipe
- 2 cups almond flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut crystals
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of Chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon Himalayan salt
- 5 free range eggs (whisked)
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/3 cup organic olive oil
- Mix the dry ingredients together in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another.
- Mix both together and pour in a prepared loaf pan
- Bake for 20-40 minutes at 350 degree F
- Allow the bread to cool before slicing
- 6 free range eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil – melted
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- 1 tablespoon Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup of coconut flour
- Blend all of the ingredients together in the order above and pour them into a prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for about 40 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- Let the loaf cool before cutting.